Preventing Suicide and Suffering
Please help people who are suffering with mental illness by supporting the development of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy in Australia.
Mind Medicine Australia (MMA) is a charity that seeks to alleviate the suffering caused by mental illness in Australia through expanding the treatment options available to medical practitioners and their patients. We are focused on the development of safe and effective psychedelic-assisted therapies to cure a range of mental illnesses.
Everyone in need should be able to access psychedelic-assisted therapies in medically controlled environments
Our progress to date
Through the work of MMA and our many supporters we are seeing approvals at the Commonwealth Government level (via Special Access Scheme-B) for medical practitioners to be able to utilise psilocybin and MDMA assisted therapies for treatment-resistant depression and treatment-resistant Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. However, some barriers remain at the State level around Australia because of a legislative failure to distinguish between the recreational and medical use of these substances.
We are also commencing the first-ever Certificate in Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies (CPAT) in the Southern Hemisphere. We have applied for the rescheduling of psilocybin and MDMA to Schedule 8 (Controlled Medicines) to make medical access around Australia easier. An interim decision will be published by the TGA on the 3 February 2021.
26 August 2020
TGA seeks submissions.
28 September 2020
Final date for public submissions.
3 February 2021
Interim decision published. Open to submissions from the public.
4 March 2021
Period for comments on interim decision closes.
22 April 2021
Publication by TGA of notice of final decision.
100+ Therapists in training annually
150+ Partner organisations for summit
27+ Local chapters
370+ Patients assisted through our Psychological Service
75+ Events to date reaching tens of thousands of people
800+ Chapter members
68+ Advisory panel members
18,500+ Volunteer hours
- Around the world psychedelic-assisted therapies are on the cusp of widespread acceptance as a breakthrough therapy for key classes of mental illness.
- These medicines have been shown to be very safe and non-addictive when used in a medically controlled environment.
- These therapies are being trialed as treatments for depression, PTSD, anxiety, end-of-life distress, dementia, anorexia and opioid, alcohol and smoking addictions and a number of other illnesses.
- These treatments are showing remission rates of up to 80% after just 2-3 medicinal doses in combination with psychotherapy.
- There have been over 120+ current or completed psychedelic trials in the past decade.
- In the 50’s/60’s these medicines were considered the next big breakthrough in treatments for mental illnesses before the War on Drugs in 1970, which stopped further research for decades.
- Both psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy for major and treatment-resistant depression as well as MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD have been granted “Breakthrough Therapy Designation” by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the USA to fast-track the approval process because clinical evidence to date indicates that they may demonstrate substantial improvement over currently available therapies.
- In the past 2 years over 40 for-profit companies have emerged in this space globally creating an entire new industry, jobs and other opportunities for innovation in treatments.
Your donation supports:
Professional Development Program
This includes our Certificate in Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies programme, as well as shorter workshops to prepare mental health professionals for the future.
Awareness and Knowledge Building
We organise educational events, film screenings, conferences and also have local chapters open to the public.
Access to Medically Approved Therapy
We promote changes in legislation, promote legal and ethical frameworks, provide psychological support services, develop clinical rollouts and medicine manufacturing capabilities.
Asia-Pacific Centre for Emerging Mental Health Therapies
We are seeking to create the first Asia-Pacific Centre of Excellence for psychedelic-assisted therapies.