Mind Medicine Australia exists to help alleviate the suffering and suicides caused by mental illness in Australia through expanding the treatment options available to medical practitioners and their patients. We will establish safe and effective psychedelic-assisted treatments to treat a range of mental illnesses.
Mind Medicine Australia is a registered charity founded by Tania de Jong AM and Peter Hunt AM. We are supporting clinical research and working towards regulatory-approved and evidence-based psychedelic-assisted therapies. We operate as a peak body that connects medical practitioners, consumers, academia, government, industry, regulatory bodies, philanthropists, investors and other stakeholders.
Mind Medicine Australia is focused specifically on the clinical application of medicinal psilocybin and medicinal MDMA for certain mental illnesses. Our focus is wholly clinical.
Indications of success
- These therapies become an integral part of our Mental Health System
- With high remission rates leading to a substantial improvement in our Mental Health Statistics
- And that these therapies are accessible and affordable to all Australians in need
Four key strategic areas
MMA is building the ecosystem for these treatments through educating a diverse range of stakeholders via information sessions, screenings and other special events; the formation of metropolitan, rural and regional Chapters; the production of a major International Summit on Psychedelic Therapies for Mental Illness and range of other events; delivery of the first accredited practitioner training course in the Southern Hemisphere and a Psychological Support Service and other professional development programs; development of the Asia-Pacific Centre in Emerging Mental Health Therapies; funding for relevant novel clinical trials; the development of an appropriate legal and ethical structure in discussion with regulators; the development of reliable sources of pharmaceutical grade medicines in Australia and the roll-out of clinics.
Mind Medicine Australia is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Mind Medicine Australia associated practitioners also offer an inclusive and safe place for patients to receive care. We respect and value the cultural differences between us.
We support and fund clinical psychedelic research, conducted by independent institutions and affiliates.
By developing relationships between government, academic institutions, interest groups and regulatory bodies, Mind Medicine Australia aims to facilitate evidence-based change.
Education & Events
We educate the general public, medical and mental health practitioners, regulators, and other stakeholders on clinical psychedelic research and therapeutic application.
Mind Medicine Australia will act as the interface between research and practice by translating clinical research into accredited therapist training protocols.
Our achievements in the first 3 years
- Successful sold-out launch event with Professor David Nutt at the University of Melbourne
- Awareness and Knowledge Building including 551,000+ page views on our MMA website
- Established a world-class Board and global network of MMA Ambassadors, Advisory Panel, Young Leaders and Lived Experience Panels
- An engaged database of over 35,000 diverse people from a range of sectors
- A national Chapters network of over 30 Chapters and 1500 engaged clinicians and citizens building grassroots awareness and running education events around Australia and New Zealand
- 130+ webinars including FREE Global Webinar Series with the leaders in the field, numerous documentary screenings and a range of special events attracting 70,000+ participants
- Launched Global Podcast Series, so far featuring 26 podcasts with leaders in psychedelics
- Built relationships with the key academic, professional and regulatory stakeholders nationally and internationally
- Launched Australia’s first Book of Psychedelic Healing Stories
- 180,000+ Youtube views and 2,100+ subscribers
- 200+ regular donors
- 150+ media appearances across Australia’s biggest publications including national news
- Over 100,000 engagements on our social media channels
- Over 1000 people trained in psychedelic-assisted therapy across our suite of training programs, including two-day workshop, Certificate of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies with a world class Faculty (recently cited as the world’s leading CPAT training globally by Professor David Nutt), online courses and Global Summit. MMA’s training programs have engaged with participants in every State of Australia and more than 15 other nations.
- Held the Southern Hemisphere’s largest and most respected industry event with 30+ world leading speakers presenting at our International Summit on Psychedelic Therapies for Mental Illness in November 2021
- Over 80,000 visits to the Summit website
- 180+ partner organisations for the Summit
- Part-funder of Australia’s first psychedelic trial at St Vincent’s for end-of-life patients using psilocybin-assisted therapy and involved in numerous other trials being launched around Australia
- Developed medicine supplies with overseas partners and working on manufacturing of medicines in Australia
- Helped secure $15 million grant from Federal Government towards novel research in Australia through the Medical Research Futures Fund
- Submission of our TGA application to reschedule MDMA and psilocybin from Schedule 9 (Prohibited Substances) to Schedule 8 (Controlled Medicines)
- Australia’s TGA has granted approvals through SAS-B for psilocybin and MDMA assisted therapies for patients on a case-by-case basis as a result of MMA’s work.
- Developing a gold standard National Care Program, clinical protocols and standard operating practices for psychedelic-assisted therapies in partnership with leading clinical groups around Australia
- Developed a BLOG, significant education resources and partnered with Universities to disseminate these as well as sharing these via our website
- Developed Psychological Support harm reduction service for those needing support regarding psychedelics, plant medicines, and their emotional health and wellbeing.
- Submissions made to the Victorian Royal Commission on Mental Health and to the Productivity Commission, other Government departments and presented to hundreds of politicians